Thursday, June 9, 2016

Geauga Family Farms CSA 2016 Season, Week 1

My 2016 Geauga Family Farms CSA (community sponsored agriculture group) had its first delivery Wednesday June 8th..   As always, the fresh veggies we got were beautiful.

There was a bit of a snafu with the truck leaving 30 minutes early, new site, new process, new driver,  but other than that, there were no problems.  There were 3 of us plus the lady who orchestrated this new pick up location who had to wait for the driver to come back.  Thankfully they were able to.  I really enjoyed my time there talking with one of the ladies about preparation and cooking techniques we used with various veggies and fruit we expected to receive from our CSA bags.

This year I decided on a medium share
since it's mostly Don and me home alone these days.



My medium share consisted of 2 large kohlrabi with greens, a nice bunch of kale I believe,  a HUGE head of leaf lettuce, a really nice bag of spinach 
a quart and a pint of strawberries,  and a bundle of garlic scapes. 
All 100%  Organic!
Yum!


To clean my lettuce and to help preserve it, I rinse it in cool water in a large bowl...

  Then I place a couple handfuls at a time into my salad spinner, give em a spin...

Then store them in a large baggie with paper towels to absorb any moisture that lingers or condensation that accumulates in the bag.  If the paper towel gets saturated,  replace it with a fresh one.

I do this same process with all of my greens, including the greens that come on top of a bunch of veggies such as turnip, beet, or kohlrabi. 
 If the greens have a thick rib, I strip the greens off of them before bagging.
I love fresh raw kohlrabi,  so these will get sliced and put in a bowl for a great snack.

I haven't decided what I'll do with the spinach and scapes as of yet, but the day is still young.

What would you do with them if they were in your frig?  

2 comments:

  1. So glad to have seen your link on fb. I'll be following you throughout the summer, can't wait to see what you do. As far as the spinach, I toss it in everything I make whether it needs to be cooked or not. Garlic scapes...I've never tried!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda! Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving a comment. :) I've missed seeing you lately.

    I usually wind up cooking my spinach since I'm not fond of it raw. Some of it may find its way in my daughters salads, and most likely I'll use some of it in a Bacon and Spinach (crustless )quiche.

    I usually grill garlic scapes and eat them like asparagus.

    ReplyDelete