Wednesday, June 22, 2016

2016 CSA share Week 2 & a Sweet gift

I went to pick up my share last week and was pleasantly surprised by a few extra goodies from Geauga Family Farms CSA.


 This was their way of saying thank you for being patient while they worked out the bugs of a new site and new drivers.

It was so nice of them, and I'm really happy for some extra goodies.

There was lettuce, cherry tomatoes,  turnips, broccoli, strawberries,  strawberry jam, and a loaf of wheat bread!

  How incredibly nice.   I hope the other ladies who waited with me were as pleasantly surprised as I was.

My regular share was nice too...

 We got lettuce,  broccoli,  strawberries, zucchini,  turnips, rhubarb and green onions.

Pretty quickly I made a jar of rhubarb jam from my CSA share.

I just cut the pieces into 1 inch(ish) pieces, added a little sugar, a splash of lemon juice,  and a little butter and let it simmer for about an hour until it was thickend.  I popped a lid on it.

 This isn't the NFPA approved way to seal jams, but I've been known to use it on the odd occasion.
It went into the frig after it sealed.


I've got about 6 more pounds to "do" something with in the next few days.

  I got a medium sized harvest from my yard this time
.

As you can see I've got 2 types of rhubarb.  
The dark red one isn't quite as sour as the green, but we like them mixed together. 


The rhubarb is doing well in the strawberry bed.  I gathered a few berries too.
Not so many this day...I think the squirrels have been helping themselves.  Stinkers!


I'll make crushed strawberries with them and serve them over pound cake with whipped cream for Don and berries and cream for me. (I'm gluten intolerant to a huge degree )

I've been toying around with the idea of making a low carb berry cake. 
We'll see.

Have you ever eaten rhubarb and do you like it?


3 comments:

  1. Blueberries and rhubarb! It's a spread/jam that was always on my Aunt Carrie's table at meal time...I have the recipe if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy! That sounds wonderful. I'd love to have your Aunt Carrie's recipe for her Blueberry & Rhubarb jam. I've got loads of both right now. Thanks Hun! :)

      Delete
    2. Yummy! That sounds wonderful. I'd love to have your Aunt Carrie's recipe for her Blueberry & Rhubarb jam. I've got loads of both right now. Thanks Hun! :)

      Delete