Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 20 on The CSA Share & Old Fashioned Kentucky Apple Cake


This is the very last share on the Summer CSA Program...  It flew by so quickly this year..

I am so happy that I actually did record each & every week's shares and shared them on my blog..  
 There were a few bumps here & there but for the most part it was all good!   

I want to say Thank You to Geauga Family Farms organization & their farmers..  
YOU. ARE.AWESOME!!!

The good news for ME is that I signed up for another 6 weeks for a Fall Program that will last into the middle of December...  so 6 more weeks of delicious, organic, local food! Yes! 

Here is my final & quite heavy bag for the Summer Share.. 


I thought I already posted this.. but obviously I did not... 

This was a really heavy bag & it went out with a bang which was awesome! 

I traded a few things with my girlfriend Cheryl because she had too much lettuce in her frig and I knew my neighbors would enjoy it..  I had 2 heads of lettuce in mine already too.. so my neighbor Diane got our lettuce.  I gave Cheryl half of my apples and a head of garlic.. She gave me her bunch of radishes too since she knows my daughter loves them.  M'honey & my daughter had all these radishes eaten up before I could get the whole share put away.. Yes, they really love them! :) 

I made the Kale up the very Southern Soul Food way with hot pepper sauce, red wine vinegar, onions, and bacon.. yum!  My daughter & I ate it all gone gone! haha.. 

I made a Pork & Bok Choy Stir Fry one night & used half of the giant Bok Choy.
It sure was tasty! 


The apples were used in an Old Fashioned Kentucky Apple Cake with a Buttermilk Glaze!!


This was a really tasty treat that I shared at a Clam Bake we had this past weekend..  I used most of the Sweet potatoes for the clambake too but I'll share the ClamBake on another post.. another day.

They say this cake gets better after its been sitting for a while.  This one only got to sit for 24 hours before it was eaten.. but the entire thing was eaten that day & night so it must have been pretty good. 

 I thought the few bites I had were really good.  Even M'honey Child JP aka Picky Boy liked it.. A lot! 
He made sure to let me know about it.. unsolicited!!  :)    

I got this recipe from Just A Pinch Recipes site where many home cooks add their own recipes. 
Many go on to compete in national food competitions too! Its a neat forum! Check it out! 

 
added by Lisa Glass
When my mother passed away, a close family friend made us two fantastic cakes. This apple cake is one of them! Both my father and my boyfriend couldn't stop raving about this one and said they could eat this cake all day, every day.

Cook time: 1 Hr  Prep time: 40 Min
Ingredients
CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:
2 stick margarine (I used real butter)
2 c sugar
ADD:
2 large eggs
IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples
1 c chopped walnuts- (I used half walnuts & half pecans since I ran out of walnuts)
2-3 Tbsp milk
GLAZE
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine
1/4 c buttermilk (I used regular milk & 1 tsp lemon juice- let sit for 10 minutes)
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract
Directions
1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.
2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.
4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.
6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!

  YUM!

I need to get moving and do something with the rest of my share this week.. 
I think I'll bake the Eggplant with last weeks eggplant & freeze it..ready to make  
Its out of this world delightful if you've never tried it!  Trust me.. 
Im a self-avowed eggplant hater and I LOVE it! 
I love Didi  from DishinWithDid.com too!  ♥
Go check out her Food Blog.. shes an amazing cook & has made an eggplant eater out of me. 
 But I have to add.. She's a beautiful Greek Goddess and the lady knows how to make a Dish sing! 


 I've got loads of other veggies I need to "get put by"  so I'll be posting about that soon!

What are you eating this week?  Do you still have any veggies or fruit that are waiting to be "put by"? 








 



2 comments:

  1. I have a lot of catching up to do. Can't believe I missed so many of your posts. That stir fry with the bok choy is first on my list. Missing you gal, with your busy life, so here's an extra kiss and hug- xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda!! I've been so busy this year I've not made one new post... so you should be able to catch up with no problem.. haha.. So good to see you! Hugs & kisses right back atcha, Doll! :)

    ReplyDelete