Sunday, June 16, 2013

CSA Week 2

We got our second CSA share on Saturday...   Its a total beauty and Im looking forward to getting busy with it. 


From the bottom left to right..   4 heads of broccoli, garlic scapes, 1 zucchini, a quart of strawberries, a 14oz tomato, green leaf lettuce, in the back row, a bunch of kale, kohlrabi + greens, beets + greens, 2 bunches scallions, and more green leaf lettuce..  

I've shared the lettuce with my daughter, my step daughter & neighbor..  and M'honey & I ate that gorgeous tomato yesterday on hamburgers I grilled..

I washed all my greens & set them out to dry on my deck under an umbrella so they didnt get sunburned. :D
I also soaked my strawberries in about a quart of water & a half cup of white vinegar.. It inhibits mold and the strawberries can last a good long while in the frig if they dont get eaten quickly..  They're half gone though so I dont guess it was necessary this week.  ;)


After they were mostly dry,  I packed each type of green & lettuce up and put them in their own baggie with a paper towel in it to keep the moisture absorbed and off the greens. I pack greens on either side of the paper towel.  This can extend the life of your greens/lettuce for  weeks and weeks!! 



Then today I decided to make up a batch of Strawberry Walnut Cake Bars.. 
They're really tasty and everyone loves them. 
I took some over to the neighbors too.. we have the best neighbors.. 




 Yum!  This is a super versatile recipe & you can use any kind of fruit you'd like..     Last week I used rhubarb..  Both worked great!!

Here is the recipe for the Bars.. The original recipe calls for Blueberries and in this recipe I just swapped out the quartered strawberries for the blueberries and walnuts for pecans cuz thats what M'honey likes.
 They're Beautiful & super tasty!1


Blueberry Cake Bars

3/4 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 3/4 cups washed and stemmed fresh blueberries
2/3 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar for 5 minutes. Add eggs and beat another 2 minutes. Mix in flour and almond extract. Fold in blueberries and pecans until well combined.

Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray (and dust with flour, if desired). Spread batter evenly in pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick tests clean (except for blueberry juice). Cool on a wire rack. When cool, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars of desired size.
World of Taste


Im planning on trying a new recipe for the kohlrabi greens one day this week. .. I've never eaten them though they are a relative of cabbage and collard greens.  My plan is to use them like you would to make stuffed grape leaves. 
I saw a recipe not too long ago where someone used collards and when I saw these I thought this might be a great way to use them.    I'll let you know how it goes!!

I also went to the garden today but got no photos..  It reminded me of a rice paddy.. 
Soaked!!    Hopefully it'll start to dry out this week so I can get more planted.. 

So far I've got my tomatoes, peppers, brussels sprouts & broccoli planted.. 
and they're all looking good..  even if water-logged a bit.. 

Today I planted some JadeII Green Beans & 4 or 5 varieties of cucumbers..
Thats really all I could get done today..  Praying for lots of sunshine this week!!







No comments:

Post a Comment