Saturday, June 29, 2013

CSA Share Week 3


Week 3 from Geauga Family Farms



We got another great share last week..   I was concerned the continuous rains we've had this month would hamper the farmers but it looks to me like its been super beneficial to them instead..    My own poor garden has suffered.  

This week's share was sugar snap peas, broccoli, strawberries, 2 heads of leaf lettuce,  scallions, rainbow chard, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes & 2 zucchinis..   It was all yummy too!!

One dish I made with some of this produce was Artichoke & Garlic Chicken Sausage with Southern Style Greens with Caramelized Onions..  

I used the chard, onions, & skapes from this weeks share  and kale from last weeks share...






I take the fast, easy, way to slice onions..  I cut them in half longwise, and then sliced them up in my food processor. I added them to melted butter & got them going.  I love my food processor.. I use it almost daily and it makes my life so much easier.


Then I started my greens..  I used about a tablespoon or two of bacon grease I keep on hand, then added my sliced kale, chard, onions, & scapes.  I also added about a tablespoon of hot pepper sauce I made last year for this very purpose..  I also added about a teaspoon or two of sugar. 

Pepper Sauce is something that sits on many Southern tables...  Its usually made with tabasco peppers and vinegar.  I didnt have any tabasco peppers, so I made some with the Scotch Bonnet super hot peppers I was growing in my garden..  I poked pin holes in the peppers, then pushed them thru the neck of the bottle, and added vinegar.  Thats it.. Then I put it into my cabinet to age..  I want to tell you.. this pepper sauce is VERY INTENSELY HOT!!  :D  Great stuff!!   You sure dont want to use too much.. 

         I grilled up some Sabatino's Smoked Mozzarella with Artichokes & Garlic Chicken Sausage..  then added the greens and onions to the sausage on buns for M'honey... 




Then I made myself up a nice plate without the bread..  Heavenly!!


Yum!!!   I had enough for a couple lunches and that makes me a very happy Girl. 

I used the strawberries very simply.  I cleaned & chopped them in quarters, added sugar, and chopped them a little more and let them rest in the frig for a day..   I topped a few slices of pound cake with ice cream and then with the strawberries & their juices.. then added lots of whipped cream..  M'honey was very very happy.  Its one of his favorite ways to use strawberries.  Mine too. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment